Reason for Visit
This 60 year-old patient presents for evaluation of 40 pound unintentional weight loss over the past 6 months. As part of your evaluation, you would like to assess whether their age-appropriate cancer screening is up to date.
Please practice collecting an organ inventory (resources will be provided) to ensure you can recommend the screening appropriate for the patient. A good time to review the organ inventory is after collecting the history of present illness, and before reviewing the past medical history.
In-Office, Primary Care Clinic
Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE)
- Gender Pronouns: She/They (left blank to be elicited by participant)
- Sex Assigned at Birth: Male (left blank to be elicited by participant)
- Gender Identity: Woman
- Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
Participants have 20 minutes to conduct this visit.
- Introduce yourself to the patient with your own pronouns
- Ask the patient’s pronouns
- Use the Organ Inventory to determine age-appropriate cancer screening for this patient
There will be verbal feedback with the SP following the visit.
- Introduce self with pronouns and ask patient’s pronouns and name (“what name do you go by?”)
- Practice collecting an organ inventory from a new patient
Who Should Participate?
Although this case may be of particular interest to primary care providers, hospitalists, and emergency medicine clinicians, it provides skills practice for clinicians in all disciplines of medicine.