Reason for Visit
A male patient wants to discuss HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis.
Telehealth visit for a Family Practice Clinic – First visit to this clinic and with this provider.
Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE)
- Gender Pronouns: He/Him
- Sex Assigned at Birth: Male
- Gender Identity: Male
- Sexual Orientation: Gay
Participants have 20 minutes to conduct this visit.
Take a medical history (including sexual history) and discuss HIV prophylaxis with this patient.
There will be verbal feedback with the SP following the visit.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to gather appropriate medical history, history of present illness, develop a treatment plan, and provide patient education and/or referral in a culturally competent manner.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to collect a sexual health history using the 5Ps method (Partner, Past STIs, Practices, Protection, Pregnancy) (PA Competency B2.06e/B2.07a)
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to provide medical care to a patient with consideration for sexual orientation (PA Competency B2.06e).
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to discuss a treatment plan, in a culturally sensitive manner, with consideration for adherence to the treatment plan (PA Competency B2.12a)
Who Should Participate?
This scenario is a fit for all healthcare providers, including Nurses, PAs, NPs, MDs, and DOs. Though widely applicable, this scenario was written specifically for PAs, and has been mapped to the PA curriculum competencies.